Cleethorpes Cricket Club end their losing run

A tremendous batting recovery enabled Cleethorpes Cricket Club to end their losing run in the 4 Probate & Wills ECB Yorkshire South Premier League. Struggling on 58-6 they were rescued by two late batting partnerships which enabled them to post a score of 175-9 against Whitley Hall on Saturday.

Overseas player Basheeru Walters was undoubtedly the star of the recovery  hitting 70 from 64 balls but he gained valuable support from both Callum Carter and Joe Baker as the trio brought up partnerships  in excess of 50 runs.

After losing the toss Cleethorpes were soon struggling as they struggled on a damp wicket which gave the home sides bowlers assistance. The first 50 runs took almost 22 overs in which 3 wickets were lost. Following a drinks break 2 more wickets immediately fell for the addition of just one run and with the total on 58 Max Taylor edged a catch behind to wicketkeeper Matthew Godden.

With 6 wickets lost Walters and Carter defied the home attack any further success with some determined defence. Gradually the pair began to attack and took the score past 100 with the partnership being worth 50 from 75 balls. Carter then attempted to steal a second run but was beaten to the crease by an accurate throw from Ben Webster with the total on 120.

Walters continued to score quickly and completed his second half century of the season, made from 56 balls and including 5 fours and 2 sixes, before his new partner Joe Baker began a savage assault on the home sides tiring bowlers. Baker hit three huge sixes as he raced to 23 from just 14 balls and with Walters again clearing the ropes a further 50 run partnership came from only 20 balls.

The score reached 173 before Walters was dismissed and although Baker was caught on the boundary edge one run later the pair had done a magnificent job in ensuring their side had a total to defend.

Fresh from their success they then opened the bowling when Whitley replied and each grabbed an early wicket reducing the home side to 13-2. A stunning catch at third slip by Louis Kimber accounted for Neil Longhurst who could only edge another Walters delivery. Baker and Kimber then combined to see James Brown heading back to the pavilion and the jubilant Meggies were all over the floundering home side.

Daniel Rafiq and Jack Wood showed stubborn defence and forced a double bowling change as they took the score to 49-4. Lee Charlton then got one to move away from Rafiq who could only edge to James Osmond at first slip. Six runs later the dangerous Jack Wood attempted to hit Alex Osmond away on the leg side only to find the safe hands of Bill Kirby waiting at mid-on.

Home skipper Greig Batty did hit three boundaries before he slashed a Charlton delivery over the heads of the slip field but into the hands of Alex Osmond lurking down on the third man boundary.

Leg spinner Osmond, who had been doubtful owing to illness prior to the game, then trapped Abhishek Kulkarni leg before for a first ball duck and picked up a third scalp by clean bowling Sam Woodcock. The final wicket fell with the total on 101 due to a run out  leaving the Meggies winners by 74 runs and halting their decline as they collected a maximum 12 points.

Contact Gi Grimsby
Email us:
Follows us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest local stories, breaking news and to join the conversation


    Leave a Reply